Highschool of the Dead - Anime Review

Watched this like forever ago now, so let's see how well I can review it. I mean, it had zombies, so it more or less stuck in my head I think. Zombies tend to do that. Because they are zombies (By the way, random novel recommendation, Feed by Mira Grant).

Highschool of the Dead

Highschool of the Dead Anime Review

Let's be honest. There's not much of a story here. If you want something with zombies and a plot, you should go read that novel I listed up there, or watch the show Walking Dead, both of which are fantastic. Prettymuch, in Highschool of the Dead, you have your typical zombie apocalypse.

Highschool of the Dead

You know the scene: you walk outside one day, suddenly one guy is biting that other guy, then both of them are trying to bite people and everyone goes crazy because HOLY SHIT ZOMBIES.

In the event of the real zombie apocalypse, I will not have this issue because I already have a plan. But anyway.

You have your zombies, you have your people going down left and right, and we're focused on some random high school in the middle of Japan, Fujimi High School.

There is a small group of students who manages to survive the initial Die-Or-Become-a-Zombie stuff, and they all band together, along with the school nurse and her breasts, which I count as their own character. From there, it's a story of survival, breasts, and friendship.

The Characters: Highschool of the Dead

I am so torn on my feelings toward the cast of this anime. Sometimes I really liked them, sometimes I thought they were complete and utter failures walking around on my screen. They went from being empty shells to being actual people.

Take Saya Takagi for instance. She first came across as a super, giant bitch. No depth, just someone who liked yelling and being bossy and was actually pretty smart anyway.

But then you see her with this little girl, acting like a mother and defending that child's innocence as much as she can in this new, zombie-infested world, looking like she'll kill anyone who affects that innocence (this is a lot like me and one of my friends actually).

Then you see her worrying about her family. You just see how human she truly is.

Highschool of the Dead

Each of the characters sort of (sooooooort of...I'm being a little generous here) gets a moment like that...except for the nurse.

I'm convinced the nurse is actually a brainless being and that her movements are all controlled by her breasts, because those things are clearly sentient.

I guess what I'm saying is to give them all a chance to show that they do have some humanity in there, even if it is frequently overshadowed by breasts.

My favorite character is, as seems to happen a lot, the biggest asshole in the series, Shido. He was a teacher at Fujimi, and he kind of becomes an evil cult-leader.

Seriously, the guy deserves to die. I don't remember if he does die, but if he does, he earned it.

The Fanservice: Highschool of the Dead

This series is 10% story, 30% action, and 60% breasts. Seriously. The fanservice is everywhere. You'll think you're in the clear and then suddenly BAM! Breasts have arrived! (Brownies to anyone who knows where I got that sentence). Breasts and more breasts and then...

MATRIX BREASTS

I'm not going to explain that. If you watch the series, you'll know it when you see it. If you've already watched the series, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Conclusion?

Basically, Highschool of the Dead was kind of generic. Like if you took Left4Dead (1 or 2, take your pick) and made it an anime, it would be Highschool of the Dead with older characters. And cooler zombies.

Really, this is just your typical zombie apocalypse story; let's see what happens when people start eating each other.

But honestly, as a huge zombie geek, I can tell say that if you're a fan of the impending zombie apocalypse (you know it's coming, don't lie), you should definitely watch Highschool of the Dead.

If you're a fan of zombies and breasts, all the better for you. Zombies, breasts, and Matrix motions, your life is set.

If you think zombies are stupid, it's not for you. Or if you're looking for plot with your zombies and breasts, it's not for you. Or if you want breasts to obey the laws of nature at all times, it's also not for you.

My rating: 5/10

For being generic, I take away points. For having some characters I kind of like, I give points.

For breasts that disobey the laws of breastial (was that a word before now?) physics, I take away points.

For being an anime that had actual zombies in it, I give points. A mediocre, but entertaining anime.

Fan Art: Highschool of the Dead

Highschool of the Dead

Highschool of the Dead

Highschool of the Dead

Episodes 12
Genre Action, Ecchi, Horror, Supernatural
Aired June 27, 2010 to September 20, 2010
Directed by Araki Testsurou
Producers Madhouse Studios
Opening Theme Highschool of the Dead by Kishida Kyoudan
Closing Theme There was a different one for every episode. So. Not. Listing.

0 comments

Post a Comment