Hellsing (TV) - Anime Review

Hellsing (TV)

Deep within England exists a group dedicated to protecting the citizenry from the undead. It is known as the Hellsing Organization, led by the extremely cool and calculated Integra Wingates Hellsing.

The Hellsing Organization has a secret weapon that gives them the edge when fighting against various creatures of the night -- the legendary vampire Arucard.

Hellsing Anime Review

It's really no big secret that the best thing about Hellsing is the action.  Blasting various undead creatures off to kingdom come has never been so stylish and well... fun.

Like I've mentioned in the synopsis, we have the Hellsing Organization, a secret high-society group who wants to rid the country of dark forces that threaten its citizens.

Like any other powerful secret group, Hellsing has armies, weaponry, and loads of cash at its disposal. Then they have Arucard, a real honest-to-goodness vampire.

Arucard wants to get rid of "fake" man-made vampires and other low life ghouls and so it serves his purpose to work with Hellsing.

Enter the innocuous female officer Seras Victoria. She's deployed as part of the group which is supposed to investigate a priest suspected of being a vampire.

All her comrades are dead, and in the final showdown with the said priest, Arucard turns Seras into a fellow vampire with her consent.

Hellsing is made up of several different subplots. The problem is, I found most (if not all) of the subplots to be underdeveloped.

hellsing ultimate crunchyroll, hellsing funimation

There's Seras Victoria's transition from human to vampire, Hellsing Organization's rivalry and political conflicts with other groups, and Integra's psychological issues among others.

I can say that I liked Seras Victoria's story best. At first, she can't bring herself to drink blood despite Arucard's prodding.

Later on, she realizes that she'll just grow weak and useless if she goes on without sustenance.

Seras eventually accepts what she has become, but still continues looks up to Arucard for guidance with regards to her new life.

Despite the fact that most fans seem to be impressed with Arucard, I really did not think much of him. I thought he looked silly, with his tacky bright red hat and suit.

Every movement seemed to shout "Hey, I'm cool,". I thought he spent too much time smirking, strutting around, and trying to be cool.

The only character that I really grew to like in this series was Walter -- with his calm demeanor, undying loyalty, and superb fighting skills. But then those who've watched this series would know where that's going to end up.

The visuals are overall good. Action rules the series with exceptionally animated fighting scenes. Character designs are distinct albeit I found most of the characters difficult to like.

What I don't understand is, while I thought the plot, characters, and everything as a whole was above average, I can't really say I liked the series. There's something missing and for the life of me I can't pinpoint exactly what it is.

In fact, it took me a couple of months before I finally finished watching all thirteen episodes. I was bored for most part.

Even when I re-scheduled my viewing time to right after I woke up in the morning, I'd still doze off before the end of an episode.

Hellsing isn't bad. It just doesn't do anything for me.

A lot of people I know who've watched Hellsing Crunchyroll enjoyed it immensely though. I guess I'm one of the few who's not really clamoring for a second season...

Miscellanies: Hellsing

hellsing ultimate funimation, hellsing crunchyroll

Hellsing anime is made up of 13 episodes.


Hellsing

Genre Action
Episodes 13
Status Finished Airing
Aired Oct 11, 2001 to Jan 17, 2002
Producers Fuji TV, Pioneer LDC
Studio Gonzo
Rating R - 17+ (violence & profanity)
Themes Adult Cast, Gore, Vampire

Hellsing Trailer

0 comments

Post a Comment